This chapter was very interesting; it contained a lot of important points, such as self-concept, self-esteem, and other topics, that I found beneficial as a future educator and made me really think about what these effects have on children and their education.
I thought the description of the 10th-grade student set up the chapter nicely, it provided an example of what this chapter was about. It mentioned the importance that schools play in the development of children's social and emotional competence, which I found quite interesting because I never thought of that aspect before. Although, I can see how it could affect a child's self-concept or self-esteem because they are in school for at least 6-hours a day.
Erik Erikson describes his theory of Psychosocial Development in the beginning of this chapter. He described the development as a "lifelong process which emphasized importance of feelings and social relationships in a person's development" (Meece, pg. 334). I found this interesting because it was something new for me. On page 334, Meece also stated "According to Erikson's theory, children continually face new developmental tasks or issues they must somehow resolve as they mature." I think this is very true, even as they continue developing up to an adult stage, they will face issues that they have to somehow solve. During the transitioning of school, elementary school to middle school, middle school to high school, etc, children face all sorts of changes and issues that they will, in time, have to face. I believe that with these challenges, it only makes them stronger and learn from their mistakes or experiences. On page 335 is a good outline for Erikson's Stages of Psychosocial Development and can be used as a resource for teachers.
The last half of the chapter focused on the different between self-concept and self-esteem. I found this section particularly intriguing because I didn't really know that there was a difference between the two, which some people use the terms interchangeable. One major thing that I took away from this chapter was the importance of self-esteem and how it effects ones school performance. On page 356, Meece states "From an educational perspective, an important question concerns how children's self-perceptions relate to their school performance." As a future educator, this is a very interesting point to think about.
On page 360, Meece states "During the early school years, children's self-esteem generally increases as they achieve success in their peer relationships and in other areas of importance to them." This is very important for teachers because I have learned through experience and through my course work at Arizona State University, that teachers can influence children's educational path, the children will either like or dislike school. Presently, there are many children who drop out of school before, during, or after high school due to their negative experiences they have faced during their education. As teachers, it is important to promote positive self-concept and self-esteem to your students so that they enjoy and like coming to school everyday and want to further their education because of their positive experiences that they have had.
Also, it is important as teachers (more in the higher grades), to discuss with your students about gender-role conceptions because their are stereotypes with gender that children and/or people should not have to face, especially at school, because they should be learning and not afraid to go to school.
Most children see their teachers as role models, and teachers are a huge influence on their students, their success, and their school experiences so it is important that teachers maintain positive, encouraging, understanding, and is a mentor for their students.
I found this chapter to be very interesting because it introduced me to a solid foundation that discussed how self concept, identity and motivation play during child and adolescents development. When the chapter talked about Erikson’s Theory of Psychosocial Development, I found this interesting because the main focus of his theory in this chapter was to introduce and explain the developmental stages that will be most concern to teachers. This focus on development is also represented on page 335 which clearly explains both visually and written how these stages are compounded to form accurate data. This graph personally simplifies how Erikson viewed and discovered the stages of Psychosocial Development. Having a better understanding of these stages will help me better understand my students both physically and mentally.
The next main topic that I found to be very useful as a future teacher and as a current student is having a better understanding of the foundations of social and emotional development. As this topic discussed the studies of temperament; I found it thoughtful when thinking about what is included in the term temperament. This includes the ability to inhibit responses, shift attention and manage emotions about various dimensions. After reading this topic, I can now see how temperament is important to us as teachers because of the different variables that make up this term. Understanding how to shift the students attention from one subject to another and manage the students emotions while they continue with all of their physical changes is something we as educators must do in order to be efficient and successful in the classroom.
Another big topic that I read and viewed as being a important part to the large idea when better understanding out students; is to become well aware of their self esteem. As discussed on page 356, self esteem involves an evaluation of who we are as a person. As a person we are made up of various traits, abilities and characteristics that makes us all think, learn and develop differently. As a teacher being able to identify and understand how these apples to the tree sort of speak make the student who they are and why is an important role we most identify. Being able to physically observe and understand each of your students self esteem levels is a key piece to having an successful academic progression. Understanding how to provide positive feedback that will help the students morale and boost their self esteem is a very important step when teaching the most effective way possible.
I thought her blog was very in depth and clear when discussing her thoughts on this chapter. I agree with her response on Erikson theory on how important it is to understand the lifelong processes which educate us as teachers how to better understand these social and emotional changes. As she explained her view on self esteem; I thought her personal experience here at ASU shows how important it is for teachers to positive feedback and promotion to students thoughts and ideas. After reading her blog responses I found that we both saw eye to eye on the important concepts of this chapter. Being able to read, identify and then explain how we as students learned from our readings; gives the teacher a positive and or negative reinforcement on how well the students understood the text. As a future teacher it to be very important to give the students a chance to write about what they learned and felt about each required readings. This will give me an idea of how I can improve myself as an educator!
Keith - I agree that this chapter was a good introduction to self-concept, identity, and motivation and the role it plays during child development. I always wondered how these factors affected children's success, and through this course I have gained a better understanding on these topics. I agree with finding Erikson's Theory of Psychosocial Development interesting because it provided explanations about each stage and information-resources for teachers and what they should look for or identify. I found that the information on page 335 was very helpful as well because it provided a visual and written representation of the diffferent stages. I definitely agree that having a better understanding of these stages will help understand my students both physically and mentally, as well understand their needs.
The foundations of social and emotional development was very useful, and something that I can use in my own classroom and will provide me with a better understanding of my students. Temperament is something that I found very important in this chaper and something important for teachers to understand and utilize. Being able to transition appropriately during classroom activities is important for classroom management and to keep students on track and maintaining their attention.
Self-concept and self-esteem are two main concepts that I took away from this chapter, although they arentwo terms that most people get confused, I learned that there is a distinct different but they are both necessary for a child's success. Each person is made up of different abilities and characteristics, which makes each person unique and different from one another. I agree with the point you made - being able to identify and understand how these apples to the tree sort of speak make the student who they are and why is an important role we most identify - definitely a good point made! Providing positive feedback for your students is crucial and being able to give immediate feedback will increase their self-esteem and help monitor their progress.
This chapter was interesting to me and served as a review for me from a previous class I took last year. In that class, we studied the different schemes that adolescents go through during their development. These schemes can stay constant or can change everyday depending on the student. In my opinion, I feel that middle to high school students will go through different schemes in their lives, and we as educators need to provide an environment that has a positive influence on the9ir self esteem. The following video clip is an example of the different self esteem issues s can face in high school and even middle school depending on the . www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCvXzjGRnKc
I also found it interesting that most studies have found that there is little differences in white and African American students self perceptions if they are succeeding in school and are held in high regard with their parents and peers(Meece, Page 398). I find it sad that and prejudices still occur in the school setting. It is so important for us to make sure these minority students are not picked on or harassed when they are in school.
Keith, I agree that being able to physically observe and understand each of your students self esteem levels is a key piece to having a successful academic progression, however, I feel it would be hard to observe them all. I think you should try and be aware of the students that are having severe self esteem problems and work with them first. At the same time however, you should provide a positive environment for all the students.
Katie, I agree with you on discussing the issue of gender role with your students. I also think we should take the time to talk about ethnic differences too because as you said, kids should not be afraid to come to school. We should always try to monitor our students behaviors and protect these students from being made fun of or picked on.
I agree with Nick that it is difficult to physically observe your students self esteem because they may act differently in different classes or around different people. So if possible it is important to talk to the parents and see if they are able to give you some information. You should always observe the child over a long period rather than just making assumptions. Plus their culture and background may be different to others. You may have students from China where they are shy and dont look straight into their teachers eye. Whereas in India they will look right at you. Eye contact is also a way to figure out a childs confidence and self esteem.
BLOG POST 9: In chapter 6 what I found very interesting was Erikson’s Theory of stages of Psychosocial development. His theory emphasized on social than biological influences. There are 7 different stages in Erikson’s theory. The first stage is Trust vs. mistrust it happened at birth to 1 years old. This is when the child must learn that their world is safe and their care givers take care of their basic needs. Second stage is Autonomy vs shame and doubt which happens from 1 years to 3 years old. This is where the care givers met their basic needs but also encourage independence. Stage 3 is initiative vs guilt happens at the ages 3 to 5. This is where they develop a sense of purpose and direction. Fourth stage is from ages 6 to 10 years old and is industry vs. inferiority. This is when the child develops learn to work and cooperate with others and to focus their energy on academics. Fifth stage is identity vs. role confusion at ages 10 to 20 years old. This is where they find their values, who they are and a direction for their lives. Sixth stage is intimacy vs. isolation which takes place in early adulthood. This is when they form intimate relationships with others. Seventh stage is integrity vs. despair is in late adulthood. This is when the person reflects on their lives and evaluate their contributions and accomplishments and what kind of person they have been.
I found this very interesting because there are so many different theories when it comes to how we develop. I think that a lot of these stages in Erikson’s theory develop through out life and change through out life not just during a certain age. I think the environment around us can change us even if that stage has passed. I do like the broad idea of this theories. When we are young we need to feel safe, middle age we need to feel like we are contributing and our late year we need to be happy with what we have done, we have to feel a sense of accomplishment.
BLOG POST 10: In response to Nickpullin. I thin it is very interesting how you related the topic to a music video. I have seen this video before but did not think of it in this way. Now that I have watched in looking for different self esteem issue I found a LOT in the video. Just in the beginning she says how she just wants to be accepted. Later on in the video she runs for class president and just how she dresses in the video. I really liked the part in Meece when they said if they are held in high regard in school, parents, and peers they have a high perception of themselves. I think this would not only be true for white and African American students but for all races. If you have positive feed back form all your areas in your life you will have a positive look at your self.
I agree that teachers should talk to their students about gender and racial issues in the world today. It has been proven that teachers who are more open to their students build a closer community. If the teachers and students are open to eachother it builds a positive environment. This boosts the students confidence and self esteem which is encouraging.
This chapter was very interesting; it contained a lot of important points, such as self-concept, self-esteem, and other topics, that I found beneficial as a future educator and made me really think about what these effects have on children and their education.
ReplyDeleteI thought the description of the 10th-grade student set up the chapter nicely, it provided an example of what this chapter was about. It mentioned the importance that schools play in the development of children's social and emotional competence, which I found quite interesting because I never thought of that aspect before. Although, I can see how it could affect a child's self-concept or self-esteem because they are in school for at least 6-hours a day.
Erik Erikson describes his theory of Psychosocial Development in the beginning of this chapter. He described the development as a "lifelong process which emphasized importance of feelings and social relationships in a person's development" (Meece, pg. 334). I found this interesting because it was something new for me. On page 334, Meece also stated "According to Erikson's theory, children continually face new developmental tasks or issues they must somehow resolve as they mature." I think this is very true, even as they continue developing up to an adult stage, they will face issues that they have to somehow solve. During the transitioning of school, elementary school to middle school, middle school to high school, etc, children face all sorts of changes and issues that they will, in time, have to face. I believe that with these challenges, it only makes them stronger and learn from their mistakes or experiences. On page 335 is a good outline for Erikson's Stages of Psychosocial Development and can be used as a resource for teachers.
The last half of the chapter focused on the different between self-concept and self-esteem. I found this section particularly intriguing because I didn't really know that there was a difference between the two, which some people use the terms interchangeable. One major thing that I took away from this chapter was the importance of self-esteem and how it effects ones school performance. On page 356, Meece states "From an educational perspective, an important question concerns how children's self-perceptions relate to their school performance." As a future educator, this is a very interesting point to think about.
On page 360, Meece states "During the early school years, children's self-esteem generally increases as they achieve success in their peer relationships and in other areas of importance to them." This is very important for teachers because I have learned through experience and through my course work at Arizona State University, that teachers can influence children's educational path, the children will either like or dislike school. Presently, there are many children who drop out of school before, during, or after high school due to their negative experiences they have faced during their education. As teachers, it is important to promote positive self-concept and self-esteem to your students so that they enjoy and like coming to school everyday and want to further their education because of their positive experiences that they have had.
Also, it is important as teachers (more in the higher grades), to discuss with your students about gender-role conceptions because their are stereotypes with gender that children and/or people should not have to face, especially at school, because they should be learning and not afraid to go to school.
Most children see their teachers as role models, and teachers are a huge influence on their students, their success, and their school experiences so it is important that teachers maintain positive, encouraging, understanding, and is a mentor for their students.
I found this chapter to be very interesting because it introduced me to a solid foundation that discussed how self concept, identity and motivation play during child and adolescents development. When the chapter talked about Erikson’s Theory of Psychosocial Development, I found this interesting because the main focus of his theory in this chapter was to introduce and explain the developmental stages that will be most concern to teachers. This focus on development is also represented on page 335 which clearly explains both visually and written how these stages are compounded to form accurate data. This graph personally simplifies how Erikson viewed and discovered the stages of Psychosocial Development. Having a better understanding of these stages will help me better understand my students both physically and mentally.
ReplyDeleteThe next main topic that I found to be very useful as a future teacher and as a current student is having a better understanding of the foundations of social and emotional development. As this topic discussed the studies of temperament; I found it thoughtful when thinking about what is included in the term temperament. This includes the ability to inhibit responses, shift attention and manage emotions about various dimensions. After reading this topic, I can now see how temperament is important to us as teachers because of the different variables that make up this term. Understanding how to shift the students attention from one subject to another and manage the students emotions while they continue with all of their physical changes is something we as educators must do in order to be efficient and successful in the classroom.
Another big topic that I read and viewed as being a important part to the large idea when better understanding out students; is to become well aware of their self esteem. As discussed on page 356, self esteem involves an evaluation of who we are as a person. As a person we are made up of various traits, abilities and characteristics that makes us all think, learn and develop differently. As a teacher being able to identify and understand how these apples to the tree sort of speak make the student who they are and why is an important role we most identify. Being able to physically observe and understand each of your students self esteem levels is a key piece to having an successful academic progression. Understanding how to provide positive feedback that will help the students morale and boost their self esteem is a very important step when teaching the most effective way possible.
Responding to Katie Felicett, Blog 10
ReplyDeleteI thought her blog was very in depth and clear when discussing her thoughts on this chapter. I agree with her response on Erikson theory on how important it is to understand the lifelong processes which educate us as teachers how to better understand these social and emotional changes. As she explained her view on self esteem; I thought her personal experience here at ASU shows how important it is for teachers to positive feedback and promotion to students thoughts and ideas. After reading her blog responses I found that we both saw eye to eye on the important concepts of this chapter. Being able to read, identify and then explain how we as students learned from our readings; gives the teacher a positive and or negative reinforcement on how well the students understood the text. As a future teacher it to be very important to give the students a chance to write about what they learned and felt about each required readings. This will give me an idea of how I can improve myself as an educator!
Keith - I agree that this chapter was a good introduction to self-concept, identity, and motivation and the role it plays during child development. I always wondered how these factors affected children's success, and through this course I have gained a better understanding on these topics. I agree with finding Erikson's Theory of Psychosocial Development interesting because it provided explanations about each stage and information-resources for teachers and what they should look for or identify. I found that the information on page 335 was very helpful as well because it provided a visual and written representation of the diffferent stages. I definitely agree that having a better understanding of these stages will help understand my students both physically and mentally, as well understand their needs.
ReplyDeleteThe foundations of social and emotional development was very useful, and something that I can use in my own classroom and will provide me with a better understanding of my students. Temperament is something that I found very important in this chaper and something important for teachers to understand and utilize. Being able to transition appropriately during classroom activities is important for classroom management and to keep students on track and maintaining their attention.
Self-concept and self-esteem are two main concepts that I took away from this chapter, although they arentwo terms that most people get confused, I learned that there is a distinct different but they are both necessary for a child's success. Each person is made up of different abilities and characteristics, which makes each person unique and different from one another. I agree with the point you made - being able to identify and understand how these apples to the tree sort of speak make the student who they are and why is an important role we most identify - definitely a good point made! Providing positive feedback for your students is crucial and being able to give immediate feedback will increase their self-esteem and help monitor their progress.
Sorry about the above post, I hit the button on .
ReplyDeleteThis chapter was interesting to me and served as a review for me from a previous class I took last year. In that class, we studied the different schemes that adolescents go through during their development. These schemes can stay constant or can change everyday depending on the student. In my opinion, I feel that middle to high school students will go through different schemes in their lives, and we as educators need to provide an environment that has a positive influence on the9ir self esteem. The following video clip is an example of the different self esteem issues s can face in high school and even middle school depending on the .
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCvXzjGRnKc
I also found it interesting that most studies have found that there is little differences in white and African American students self perceptions if they are succeeding in school and are held in high regard with their parents and peers(Meece, Page 398). I find it sad that and prejudices still occur in the school setting. It is so important for us to make sure these minority students are not picked on or harassed when they are in school.
Keith, I agree that being able to physically observe and understand each of your students self esteem levels is a key piece to having a successful academic progression, however, I feel it would be hard to observe them all. I think you should try and be aware of the students that are having severe self esteem problems and work with them first. At the same time however, you should provide a positive environment for all the students.
ReplyDeleteKatie, I agree with you on discussing the issue of gender role with your students. I also think we should take the time to talk about ethnic differences too because as you said, kids should not be afraid to come to school. We should always try to monitor our students behaviors and protect these students from being made fun of or picked on.
I agree with Nick that it is difficult to physically observe your students self esteem because they may act differently in different classes or around different people. So if possible it is important to talk to the parents and see if they are able to give you some information. You should always observe the child over a long period rather than just making assumptions. Plus their culture and background may be different to others. You may have students from China where they are shy and dont look straight into their teachers eye. Whereas in India they will look right at you. Eye contact is also a way to figure out a childs confidence and self esteem.
ReplyDeleteBLOG POST 9:
ReplyDeleteIn chapter 6 what I found very interesting was Erikson’s Theory of stages of Psychosocial development. His theory emphasized on social than biological influences. There are 7 different stages in Erikson’s theory. The first stage is Trust vs. mistrust it happened at birth to 1 years old. This is when the child must learn that their world is safe and their care givers take care of their basic needs. Second stage is Autonomy vs shame and doubt which happens from 1 years to 3 years old. This is where the care givers met their basic needs but also encourage independence. Stage 3 is initiative vs guilt happens at the ages 3 to 5. This is where they develop a sense of purpose and direction. Fourth stage is from ages 6 to 10 years old and is industry vs. inferiority. This is when the child develops learn to work and cooperate with others and to focus their energy on academics. Fifth stage is identity vs. role confusion at ages 10 to 20 years old. This is where they find their values, who they are and a direction for their lives. Sixth stage is intimacy vs. isolation which takes place in early adulthood. This is when they form intimate relationships with others. Seventh stage is integrity vs. despair is in late adulthood. This is when the person reflects on their lives and evaluate their contributions and accomplishments and what kind of person they have been.
I found this very interesting because there are so many different theories when it comes to how we develop. I think that a lot of these stages in Erikson’s theory develop through out life and change through out life not just during a certain age. I think the environment around us can change us even if that stage has passed. I do like the broad idea of this theories. When we are young we need to feel safe, middle age we need to feel like we are contributing and our late year we need to be happy with what we have done, we have to feel a sense of accomplishment.
BLOG POST 10:
ReplyDeleteIn response to Nickpullin. I thin it is very interesting how you related the topic to a music video. I have seen this video before but did not think of it in this way. Now that I have watched in looking for different self esteem issue I found a LOT in the video. Just in the beginning she says how she just wants to be accepted. Later on in the video she runs for class president and just how she dresses in the video. I really liked the part in Meece when they said if they are held in high regard in school, parents, and peers they have a high perception of themselves. I think this would not only be true for white and African American students but for all races. If you have positive feed back form all your areas in your life you will have a positive look at your self.
I agree that teachers should talk to their students about gender and racial issues in the world today. It has been proven that teachers who are more open to their students build a closer community. If the teachers and students are open to eachother it builds a positive environment. This boosts the students confidence and self esteem which is encouraging.
ReplyDelete