Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Blog 1
I thought this was a very interesting topic. I have taken a couple of biology and evolution classes and the physical science of human development has always been interesting to me. What i really appreciated about this lecture was that I could apply these things in my teaching. It is always good to have a background knowledge about who you are and who your students are. Why not start with where they literally came from and how it all happens? As a future high school teacher, some of this stuff would really help in understanding what my students are going through as they are going through puberty. I would be able to tell that the reason that some of my students were having some troubles may be because they are developing a little late or a little early. As it said in the lecture, there are several issues that can arise from developing too early or too late, such as ridicule by peers, low self confidence, low academic achievement, or behavioral problems. If i could understand this about my students I may have a better chance in helping them succeed. Another portion of this lecture that I really appreciated was the milestones that were listed for infants and toddlers as they grow, such as talking, walking, and potty training. This will really help me when I become a parent to watch out for my own child and notice if they are behind on any of these things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is interesting to read the insights of younger students who have yet to have children! Though milestones and timelines are important in a general way to measure the progress of your own children or those you are teaching, it is also very important to look at each child as an individual and allow for a wide margin on either side of those measurements. A myriad of factors will influence the development of a child and the recognition of this will make for a better parent and a better teacher.
ReplyDeleteAfter listening to my first online lecture, I thought this type of learning environment was a bit different from what I am used to. Always being present in a classroom to this type of environment is a bit of a change for me. After listening to your online lecture, has not only re capped on my prior knowledge on how we as humans are created and developed; but how important it is as a future teacher to better understand this process. My overall perception and understanding of your lecture was to understand how we develop as people. This to me sets the foundation of human development.
ReplyDelete