Friday, June 26, 2009

Blog #16 week 4

In response to Sandra Lara's post. I agree with you that teaching children about prejudices is a difficult task. Obviously form these assumptions is wrong, but what is the best way to teach young children that it is what is in the inside that counts. I think it starts with the parents. Parents need to teach their children that everyone is the same, and that you have to get to known people to judge their character. In the class having children of different backgrounds work together is another way to show that just because they look different they are just like ourselfs. As teachers it is important for us to treat all students the same, so our students have an example to follow and see how we accept everyone no matter their background.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Andrew with what you've said in blogs 15 and 16. I also think it is important to empower students to recognize forms of hatred and bigotry in order to not participate and even work to promote respect and understanding, even if just through actions rather than words.

    I'm thinking of this literature/ English teacher I had in seventh grade who was really passionate about the civil rights movement and educating us on what it was all about. He devoted a lot of time and effort to exposing us to the events and issues behind it and really pushed us to consider why it was wrong and how it has impacted society today. I'm sure that it took up a lot of the school year and cut into the time ha had to teach us "the curriculum", but the effort he put forth in exposing us to a major period in US history really shaped my perception of race and understanding of the truth that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and fair treatment, which helped me understand the values of our society. So overall this is an example of a teacher doing what you have talked about in your blogs.

    ReplyDelete