Development of Achievement Motivation
I was surprised by the number of motivation needs and the number of different theories. For example in the text page 381 listed physiological, Safety needs, Love needs, esteem needs, and self-actualization needs as the different needs that each person has in relationship to what must be meet in order to be motivated. On the lecture part you talk about several different theories like drive theory, behaviorism, cognitive psychology, Self Determination Theory (Deci & Ryan, 1985), Expectancy-Value Theory (Eccles et al., 1983), and Self-Efficacy (Bandura, 1986) just to name some of them. What a lot to think about. After reading over this section I now understand and see what the Maslow’s hierarchy is based on. I found that I have both the intrinsic and extrinsic motivations in my life right now for example: this course would fall under the intrinsic motivation because I have both curiosity and interest in learning about human development. I display the extrinsic motivation because learning is a means to an end in the GLG 101 and GLG 103 classes that I have to take to finish my degree. I learn a lot about “The Hidden Cost of Rewards” text page 387, I have used stickers are rewards for preschool children over the past years. Now I will look at how and why I might be using them in the future. I need to keep in mind that gender, ethnic, and racial differences also play a part in the way individuals are motivated. One of the more important things that I got was the need for feedback based on the effort a person is putting forth.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cathy,
ReplyDeleteI loved how you brought up the fact that gender, and racial differences might play a factor into how individuals are motivated. I have never really thought about how that could be a factor, but I now can see how it can affect motivation. Thanks for the new insight.