The issues of identity and how it can play a huge role on a students academic success is sometimes forgotten. I have never deeply thought about what issues might arise for students who do not have a good self esteem. It amazed me to see how as a child gets older the less they might think of themselves. For example, in the book on page 359 it had a little piece about developmental Changes in Self-Representation in Childhood and adolescence. As the child got older the more negative comments they would make about themselves and their way of thinking changed dramatically
In another part of the book it briefly talked about emotional and behavior disorders. I have personally experience working with children who were in an ED classroom at the junior high level. I was an instructional assistant in that classroom for a year. During this time I was able to see the challenges that they had in school not only academically but socially as well. I believe that identity played a huge role in their behavior. I remember one student who was in that class who was constantly talked negatively about himself, expressing how he was not good enough, and how his dad was going to be mad at him if he did not do well. This also shows you the effect a parent can have on a child and how they view themselves.
From the lecture one of the most interesting parts of it was looking at the gender role. On the slide it mentioned mass media. I believe that mass media has a huge impact on gender roles today. For example, if you pay attention to toy commercials you will see what types of toys are geared towards boys and which ones are for boys. These commercials show that boys should be out there getting dirty and playing with truck and girls should be inside playing house.
Here is a link to a commercial that is currently being run so lets see if you can see who it is geared for and what they are implying as far as gender roles. I am interested to hear what all of you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVgHrV9H-8k
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
BLOG # 10 Response to Sandra
ReplyDeleteSandra you made such good points about gender roles and I agree with you that the media plays such a role in creating gender specifics for people. I viewed your commercial on rose pedal cottages and was not shocked at all. The media places gender roles on girls and boys and this clip was such a great example of how gender roles are created. I think as teachers it is crucial to not continue the cycle of gender roles and teach students the importance of being open to several learning experiences and opportunities despite gender. For example I hate it when teachers always do all boy or girl competitions or games because students should learn to work together despite their gender or ethnicity. I think the best thing we can do as teachers is to support and open learning environment free of gender roles and restrictions.