Thursday, June 4, 2009

Blog Posts #3 and 4

18 comments:

  1. Understanding the cognitive development and learning can be a complex process. Jean Piaget and Lev Vygotsky introduced their theories of cognitive development through descriptions of cognitive stages and the relationship between individuals and society. This lecture was intriguing and I find it interesting to see how people think and come up with how people think, act, etc. and why. Learning about Jean Piaget and Lev Vygotsky was a review, I was introduced to them during an introductory course to Psychology, so it was refreshing to be somewhat familiar with their theories and positions.

    Jean Piaget focused on how intelligence came about. On page 129 of our textbook, Meecee states that "Piaget taught us that children act as "little scientists," trying to make sense of their world." He believed that they happened in stages, a universal progression that consists of four components. The example of conservation, the video link from youtube, provides a good visual representation of Piaget's theory and how it can be confusing for a child. On page 147 of the textbook, it describes conservation as "appearances that can be misleading." I thought it was interesting to see how the children first established that each glass had the same amount of liquid in each cup, but when poured into two different containers, they were confused about which glass had the most or the same amount. It shows one how the littlest things-changes can make a child think differently, or give a new perspective.

    Lev Vygotsky stressed the importance of the relationship between an individual and society (i.e. the nature vs. nurture debate). Vygotsky described the crucial role that adults play in a child's education. As a future educator, it is important to ensure that parents are involved in their child's classroom and throughout the school; parental involvement is critical in a child's education and in order for their child to be successful. Vygotsky provided examples other roles that parents might endure such as modeling, guided participation, feed-back, etc, which is something that needs to happen in the classroom as well in order to bridge the home-school gap.

    Finally, the "How People Learn" article was interesting. All people learn differently. It is assumed that children are come into the classroom with perspectives about the world through what their parents have told them or prior knowledge, however, as a future educator teachers must have their students to be able to think outside of the box and expand their knowledge. Teachers should give their students real-life situations and have the students be able to apply their knowledge and figure out a solution on their own.

    There is a lot that goes into the cognitive development. The simplest components such as science and math courses help children with their cognitive development, and their learning process. As we have learned, the learning and information process is similar to that of a computer. Children are sponges and are willing to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Vygotsky when he states that "knowledge is not individually constructed, but is co-constructed between people as they interact(Page 165). This also relates to the idea that children are sponges and are willing to learn. Every child is different when it comes to their learning sequence. I do not think that every kid will go through the stages Piaget talks about at the same time. For example, today on the yahoo homepage, there was a kid who just graduated from college at the age of eleven! According to Piaget, this child should be at the formal operational stage, however, he is way beyond this period. With all of this being said, I do think that the majority of children in the world follow the stages Piaget suggests to a certain degree. I think it is incorrect to assume everyone will follow this progression. I have observed many elementary and junior high students, and most of them show signs of a progression in the different stages that are suggested by Piaget, but not all.
    I have learned about the stages that Piaget talks about in chapter three in my elementary music methods course, however, not in this much detail. I have found the information very interesting and useful(Seeing that I am going to be a Father soon!!!!!). Even though I do not agree that all children follow this progression I feel that it is important to know this information as educators. I feel this way because we are all going to have different kinds of students in our classes. For example, There will be the ones that learn very fast progressing quicker in the stages, there will be kids that follow the progression exactly, and finally there will be kids that are slower than their peers and we need to be able to recognize what that particular student needs in order to be successful in life. the topics that have been discussed so far in this class have been informative and insightful. These are important topics for educators and I am looking forward to learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to clarify, the above postings were supposed to be two separate entries. Blog post three and four.
    Thanks,
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading chapter 3 I realized I did not know that much about Piaget and his theory. I did not know how much his theory-helped education improve. I don’t agree with a lot of his theory but what I did agree with how students learn best. The way he was “critical” on educational approaches that focused on memorization and how he encouraged teaching children to think for themselves, and to develop “confidence in their own thinking process”. (pg 159). At my internship I saw a lot of mathematic experimenting to help the students understand addition and subtraction. As a future teacher I want to teach my student through experience and not memorization. I want my student to understand the concept and not know it long enough to take the test.

    As a future teacher an important difference between Piaget and Vygotsky’s theories is how they view learning. Piaget thought cognitive development could put limits on a students learning. Vygotsky thought knowledgeable adults or peers fused cognitive development. He also “believed that learning precedes development.” I think this is a good way of looking at learning and cognitive development.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After listening to this lecture, I would have to say, that though Piaget's stages may not be the most accurate way of determining a child's development. However, I feel that it is a good way to get an estimate as to how your child is developing compared to what is considered to be normal. When it comes to Vygotsky's theory, I like the statement found in the book by Vygotsky, "knowledge is not individually constructed, but is co-constructed between people as they interact..." Vygotsky's theory about relationships between the individual and society focuses on language and development, is a lot different that Piaget's stages. However, I believe that as a future teacher, both of these theorists have had help construct education and made it what it has become today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In response to Kelly Andrews blog, I agree with Kelly, I was surprised too to see how much Vygotsky and Piaget's theories helped education improve. I liked the idea of Piaget having general stages however I also liked the fact that Vygotsky had the iea of memorization and children learning for themselves, just as Kelly stated. I also agree with your views on how Piaget and Vygotsky are different> And like how you referenced the quote "learning proceeds development."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew Pollak Blog Post #3
    After reading the chapter and listening to the lecture the information was pretty familiar to me. In my EDP 311 class last semester we discussed Piaget's and Vygotsky's theories. I agree with Vygotsky's theory that a child's society factors into how they are developed. To understand a child's development we must look into the child's society and culture. The child's personal experiences also determine how they are raised. It is a parents responsibility to teach their children wrong from right. Then when they go into the world they will use the values that were taught to them. The children also see how their peers respond to various situations, and they determine how they will react in the same situations.
    A key word in the reading was scaffolding. Scaffolding is when adults provide support to a child. Learning is best experienced when the child does the various tasks, even when times get difficult. An adult is there for the child to lean on, and seek help. Everyone needs some one to go to when they need help. Adults play an important role in a child's developmen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, you make a good argument. I didn't know the impact that Piaget's theory had on helping education improve, which I found quite interesting myself. I don't agree with a lot of his theory either, but it is interesting to learn about what he thought and his experiments.

    I also agree with the point that you made about memorization because I see that happened a lot during my internships with assessments. Memorization isn't teaching the students anything, it will be stored in their short-term memory and then forgotten that easily. As a future educator, I want to ensure that my students are walking away with something new, at least every week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am commenting on Kelly Andrew's post. I also will be a future teacher and know how each theorists ideas differ. I like how she said Piaget's theory can put limits on a child's development, and Vygotsky's theory uses adults and peers to form the development. I agree with Vygotsky's theory. I do not think Piaget is putting a limit on the child's development. There should never be a limit on anyone's learning. Learning never ends and has no limits. I think Piaget was just trying to form a guideline educators could follow to see how children are progressing. Having adults and peers surround children greatly enhances the learning process. They get first hand experiences on how to live their life. When a child has someone they can lean on for help and ideas, learning can highly be gained.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The above post is Andrew Pollak's blog #4 post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blog # 3 - I totally agree with you Andrew. There should be no limitation to learning and developing as an individual. Piaget uses an outline of what development the kids go through in most cases which is helpful. I dont think that it is limiting the kids, it is just a generalized outline. Although i lean more towards Vygotsky's theory of the social impact it makes on the childrens development. I do believe that the interaction with the environment and socializing as well as their background makes a huge impact on their development and learning. I do believe he came up with the "zone of proximal development theory" which is when an individual can make the largest impact on the childs development. Every teacher can make a difference even if it is the smallest amount, it will make that child a different person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blog number 3 and 4

    I found Piaget's theory very interesting. I think it is nice to think in theory that all studnets learn the same and prgoress the same, but that in reality this does not happen. In grammar school kids are put in different groups for math classes and English classes because some studnets pick up material faster than others.Some students are great with numbers while the same studnets may struggle with reading. I think that to say that all students go through the stages together is too big a generalization.

    In response to Andrews post I also agree that the theory does not set a limit, but I think that the guideline that it sets is to narrow to actually see whether a not a student is sticking with the norm. Since children do all progress differently I wonder how it is even ok to set a guideline.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blog # 4 - I agree with Danielle that all students should go through stages together because everyone is at a different level for every subject. We all have experience it, take an example of you and a friend. You may be awesome at math and your friend may be horrible at math. Whereas your friend may be awesome at reading but you are horrible at reading. It is important that all students are kept together so they learn from eachother by interaction of group work, pair with a partner, etc. This way they can share their ideas or strategies and other group members can do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BLOG POST 4:
    In response to Danielle I agree with her. It would be nice if all student learned the same and at the same level at the same time. It would make teaching very easy. But like she said this is reality it does not happen. So, we as teachers have to be able to understand and be able to teach at all levels. I think it is a ridiculous to say that children go through the same stages together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blog # 3 The lecture on cognitive development was very meaningful to me as a future educator and understanding of children’s cognitive abilities and development. Although, the theories of Jean Piaget, Lev Vygotsky do have limitations both of their personal theories are very applicable to teaching children. Jean Piaget the “Father of Development,” thought of children as having active role in learning. Piaget broke the stages down into four stages in which children’s cognitive skills develop. The most interesting stage to me was the third stage, “concrete operational” in which children are developing more logical thoughts and are able to order and classify objects.
    The theories of Lev Vygotsky are ones that I really can relate to as a teacher. Vygotsky is responsible for the ZPD (Zone of Proximal Development) which is so important to me. I like the ZPD because as a teacher I feel called to assist my students in independent and individualized work and act as a facilitator in which I can support student beyond their potential and scaffold their learning. I really like the idea of scaffolding learning and supporting the students to go a little beyond. Education and learning is so dynamic and Vygotsky talks about needing to be dynamic and adapting to children’s needs. I also agree with Vygotsky that the role of adults and parents is crucial to a child’s cognitive abilities. I like how Vygotsky was a supporter of guided participation, instructional conversation, peer interacting, and reciprocal teaching. My own teaching philosophy is more students centered and Vygotsky is a great reference for more of a relationship between individual and society and making connections.
    Learning strategies were very useful to learn because as educators we can help student improve their learning and memory skills, which are important skills for developing motivation and life long learning. I like the chunking strategies and elaboration. Elaboration promotes making connections and this is really important for real world learning. When students can make connections with relationships, the world, and society they will hopefully be more motivated. I agree that by accessing student’s prior knowledge, teaching my students learning/memory strategies, and making connections will help students to value learning and be motivated to continue learning.

    Post # 4 Response to Andrew Pollack
    I completely agree with you Andrew. You cover an incredibly important aspect of children’s development and learning by saying parents play a major role. I believe that parents are the first teachers and it is essential for them to help form students morals before they are out in the real world/society. However, now days in some of my own personal experiences students do not receive the enrichment or support at a young age at home and thus the schools and teachers become responsible for helping form the minds and hearts of children. (This is so sad because I believe parents are the primary teachers and care givers) I too in my own classroom want to implement scaffolding I think it is a great teaching strategy and by supporting children they can reach their potentials and go beyond any limitations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blog #3 - I have also taken an EDP course last year which was based mostly on Piaget and Vygotsky. I found this chapter more of a review but still informative. I like learning about these thories because I work in a preschool or I am able to see child devlopment everyday and I can apply these theories. saying that I work in a preschool may sound repetitive but it really is such a great tool for application. I love learning something like Vygotsky's ZPD and then seeing it in my preschool or my intern sites for my major. The other thoeory that is very important to me is Piaget's Preoperational stage. Here the children are extremely egocentric. I work with 2 and 3 year olds and I see this everyday!!! Many people give toddlers the name "terrible twos" but its not that they terrible it's that they are in this stage of their development.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blog #4- I am commenting on Danielle's blog about how students do not learn the same way or at the same time. I agree with this and in a perfect world student's would learn at the same rate. However, I like how Piaget's theories give us a guideline to follow to see whrere student's can be during their development. There is a 6 month window for a child's develop. Some develop faster and some slower. It's important to keep this window in mind because if a child slower or faster than this window there may be a need for an assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. After listening to the lecture has defiantly reintegrated my knowledge of Piaget Vygotsky and the different methods he has used. His developmental strategies while studying and learning about children I always found to be very remarkable. Learning about several theories, strategies and supporting data that helps teachers today better understand children I believe is a very important step to teaching students. Learning about several theorist and psychology founding fathers has set the direction in which we as future teachers/teachers obey by. After listening to this lecture I was able to better understand how important Vygotsky played to better understand how children cognitively develop and learn new information. As a future teacher, this is crucial information that we all should have a better understanding.

    ReplyDelete