The lecture and chapter for congnitive development and learning was interesting. From Piaget I learned about concrete operational thinking and the idea of conservation. From a young age children develop the notion that because something is "bigger" or "taller" it has more. When they learn about conservation they see that it really is the same amount of stuff just aranged differently. For example, first show a child two equal cups(short and fat) of water. Poor one cup into a tall skinny cup and asking the child to compare the two cups. Which one has more, less, or are they the same? A child with conservtion will realize that it is the same amount of water being poored from one cup to the next. A child without conservation will feel that the taller glass has more water because it looks bigger. This was really cool to think about and it makes me want to go try it with my younger siblings.
Saturday, June 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really think the concept of conservation is interesting as well! Watching a few youtube videos on this was so interesting. I knew that kids did this, but I wasnt sure that it had a name or if it was scientifically significant. I thought it was just a lack of knowledge that kids had. I thought that maybe they just begin to realize that this glass of water really doesnt have more, just because it is a different shape or size. Or perhaps maybe the child was told that the it was the same regaurdless of the shape or size. I really didnt know there was more to it than that. Very interesting. I felt the same way about wanting to try it with some children too!
ReplyDeleteBlog 4 Response to Celeste on 06-06
ReplyDeleteHi Celeste
The idea of conservation is a good one, the example that you gave is very interesting to watch with pre-school age children. Did you get a change to try it with your younger siblings? What happen? As for the concrete operational thinking it is also fun to use on young children. I enjoy playing hide and seek, pick-a-boo, and several other baby games with my new grandson who is 5 months. Just to watch their little faces as you play is amazing.