Saturday, June 6, 2009
Blog Post #3
After listening to the lecture I have to say that this chapter is informative in certain ways. While I do not agree with everything that was mentioned I can see how both the information by Piaget and Vygotsky can be useful. As a future teacher I have to say that I agree more with Vygotsky when it comes to methods of learning about children. The part that I found most aligned with my own beliefs about learning is the slide dealing with adult interaction in the education of children. I think that when it comes to teaching it should be more of a guiding process. By a teacher asking questions and allowing a child to work their way to the solution they learn and develop in so many different ways. This allows them not only to build on their own problems solving skills but also their critical thinking. Afterwards feedback is always a good thing because it may open up their own viewpoints and allow them to go even further in their own understanding of what they are trying to master.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that teaching should be a guiding process between teacher and student. The student should be the one figuring out and learning for themselves but the adult is there to guide, direct and encourage. I feel that ZPD really plays into this relationship. A teacher may need to help and guide a child in the begining but as they progress and learn from one another the child can do things on their own and doesn't need as much help from the teacher.
ReplyDeleteI think it is important, rlmmartin that we as teachers start thinking about and creating our teaching methods and styles. I think it's a great idea to pick and chose things from different theorists that you've either seen work in the classroom or you think might work. As a teacher your "bag of tricks" can never be too full. I too like Vygotsky's ZPD. However, creating an individualized lesson for each student in the class is not realistic. But scaffolding, and allowing children in the class to be peer "teachers" is a great way to further one child's learning by teaching, and help a struggling student.
ReplyDeleteKristen, I agree with your comment that teachers should develop an individual teaching method and style (teaching philosophy) based on a variety of learning theories. To take this further, it is clear that teachers must maintain a state of constant self-assessment and observation, discerning largely through trial and error what does and does not work in the classroom and asking "why?". I've also observed through conferences, workshops and networking that teachers must always be open to new ideas and collaboration with other teachers. Wherever there is a successful program, there is potentially something that could be implemented into our own teaching style and "bag of tricks". Taking all of this into consideration, teaching is a profession that requires dedication to growth, learning and self-improvement.
ReplyDeletealso, your comment, "scaffolding, and allowing children in the class to be peer "teachers" is a great way to further one child's learning by teaching, and help a struggling student" relates to a point made on page 13 of the article "organizing information into a conceptual framework allows for greater 'transfer'; that is, it allows the student to apply what was learned in new situations and to learn related information quickly". Creating a classroom environment based on student-centered learning (scaffolding) allows for students to engage directly with the material being learned. For example, learning based on problem-solving allows for students in groups to present, defend implement and experiment with new ideas. Their engagement with the material provides a framework of understanding and categorization of new material to be learned. They also experience a sense of ownership in relation to the curriculum, because of their direct involvement with it.