Thursday, June 11, 2009
Blog #7
This lecture and reading has been the most interesting to me so far in this course. I'm familiar with motivation and the different theory. As educators it is very important for us to be familiar with everything about motivation because it something that we will face on a daily basis. However, the most important concept that I took from the lecture was intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. For me going in to education it was an intrinsic motivation as it probably is for most people who choose this career path. In my classroom I will be seeing extrinsic motivation because I do believe that good behavior is expected as well as it should be rewarded. However, by doing this it can motivate kids in the wrong way. For example, in my summer internship the mentor teachers gives out tickets throughout the day and they put them in a bucket and at the end of the day she picks a ticket and they get to pick something out of the treasure chest. This motivates the students at times because they know that they will get something in return and this can backfire.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think in a dance classroom there is alot of oth intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. It depends on the type of student and the atmosphere of the classroom. I feel like in a fine arts classroom there are two types of students, those that want to be there and those that need an elective credit. For those studets that want to be there and enjoy dance, they use alot of intrinsic motivation. The students that have to be there are those students that need use extrinsic motivation. They need to be pushed and a reward such as a grade is usually the only way to get them to participate and stay motivated.
ReplyDeleteThis is in response to Sandra I agree with her because I think that intrinsic morivation is what we as teacher have becasue it is self motivation. We want to improve and want our students to improve. Extrinsic motivation I think is for those who need an extra shove in the right direction.
ReplyDeleteI definately agree with this. Many times, if we start to reward students everytime they do something good, it can backfire. If the students recieve an immediate reward everytime they do something good, they may loose the motivation to do anything well when there is not a reward involved. If we make our students reliant on rewards, they will never become intrinsically motivated, which I think we really should want them to be. I think the best way is to randomly reward them. This way they know if they do well, they have a chance at a reward, but they dont rely on it because it is not a gaurantee. Also, we could ease them off of rewards and ease them into an intrinsic motivation setting where there real reward is simply learning the things you want to know, and just getting a good grade. That should be reward enough. We just have to watch out, as teachers to keep everything in good balance, not to spoil it.
ReplyDelete