Friday, June 12, 2009

Blog 7

This chapter is very helpful in preparing to be a teacher. As a teacher it may sometimes be hard to get your students motivated to learn. I know this will be a difficult task for me as I will be teaching high school math. There are many high school students who in general, do not want to be at school, especially in a math class. Learning different ways that I could possibly motivate my students is very helpful. I know that as people grow older, their motivation goes from more of an intrinsic to an extrinsic standpoint overall. Children always seem to want to learn things and grow without anyone telling them to. They are always curious to learn. While older people and teenagers seem to be more extrinsically motivated, always thinking "whats in it for me??" As a successful teacher, you should be able to get your students to be as intrinsically motivated as possible. This could be a very difficult task. I think a good way to do this is to first extrinsically motivate the student by giving them some kind of reward for doing well, so that they will get on the right track. Then sort of ease them off of those rewards to something smaller and smaller to eventually all they are being rewarded with is the actual grade or just the promises that if they do well here they will be rewarded by getting into a good college. For some students this may come easier than others. As a teacher however, you must be careful that you do not make the student reliant on the rewards. If this happens, your plan will have totally backfired and your student may not to a single thing unless there is an immediate reward in it. The idea is to keep a good balance. The job of keeping students motivated is always a hard task and it may take a few years of teaching to get it down just right, but I do believe that if we know the basics that we now know that we will have a lot better chance of helping our students.

1 comment:

  1. Tacara, you have your job cut out for you. I was a horrible student in math class. I was not motivated at all. While reading through your post, it made me think and reflect upon why I have such a low self efficacy when it comes to math. I think this is the reason.

    The goals my teacher(s) set for the class were not always on track with my abilities. Therefore, I think if a teacher would have created an environment that included lots of opportunities for success, I would have built up my self efficacy, and consequently my self esteem in math class. I think that it is very important for teachers to set reasonable education goals, especially creating many of these with high expectancies of success.

    Finally, when I got to college I had an amazing math teacher. She changed my (math) life forever, and to this day is one of my favorite teachers of all time. The first thing she said to us was, "This class is set up for you to succeed." I was skeptical, but she made sure every single person in class was understanding the material before moving on. She created a non-threatening environment and made MANY opportunities for success. She taught with many different styles for many types of learners and really made people (like myself) with math anxiety feel like they could be successful. I got an A+ in the class. My math fears were extinguished.

    ReplyDelete