Thursday, June 25, 2009

Blog # 15

Chapter 7 brought up a lot of touchy subjects and thing that I feel are going to be hard to address as a teacher. The number one issues that I think about all the time that I know I will face somewhere in my future years of teaching is racial issues and prejudice. Like the book mentioned young children as young as three are able to recognize the difference in others such as a persons skin color. That made me think about how young children say things without realizing the fact that it might be hurtful to others. In my internship I have always listened in on conversations the students were having and in my second grade internship I have noticed that they brought up a persona physical characteristic. This made me think about what it is I can do to prevent this from happening in my classroom because I do not want it to turn into a racial issue. I strongly believe in community building activities through out the year and not just in the first couple days. The students need to realize that we are all the same on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment