I have never considered shyness a hindrance to learning in the classroom yet it makes sense that it could impede a child from taking part in an activity that encourages social interaction. Unlike introverted students who prefer isolation and independent activities, shy students actually prefer working with peers yet are unable to do so due to a honed sense of self-awareness. And although research suggests that shyness in elementary school does not lead to anxiety problems in middle school or high school, educators believe that helping children overcome their shyness will help them become more efficient learners and better problem solvers in social contexts.
Shyness can be described as a "feeling of insecurity or discomfort during social situations (Meece, pg. 339)." Therefore, it is important that we help students overcome their social insecurities so that they can achieve in the classroom. One strategy suggested is to increase social interaction during instructional time. Employ "table talk," where the students can discuss questions and responses in a small group setting. Using shoulder partners is also an excellent tool. But, creating a positive and productive learning environment is crucial in helping kids overcome their shyness. A teacher should also, obviously, attempt to build rapport and trust with the student so that their self-esteem may blossom. In this case, a child and teacher can agree upon a "signal" that lets the instructor know when to call on the particular student. For example, a student may tug on his or her ear to let the teacher know that they want to answer a question and feel confident regarding the topic or subject. Once again, shyness plagues every classroom and it is the teacher's duty to create an environment where children can grow, develop, and overcome such social obstacles.
Friday, June 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree, I never thought shyness was a bad thing either. You make some excellent points about the problems these kids face. I have to admitt, I was a bit shy in elementary school myself and I remeber that feeling of wanting to answer a question, but for some reason, just not being able to do it. I think some of your ideas are very clever and I feel like they would have helped me out in school. I think it is a great idea to have table talk and things like that where the shy student can get sort of warmed up and getting used to talking to some of the students before speaking out in front of the whole class, which can be very awkward. I also think it is very important as teachers to keep track and stay aware of how your students are feeling and how they react with the other students.
ReplyDeleteI agree that shyness is a particular roadblock to learning. It seems to make sense that the child who cannot talk to his peers would be less able to ask his teachers questions... he wouldn't want the attention drawn to him.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of small groups, that allow the shy student to ask those in his group the questions he needs answered. I agree that a teacher should try and build trust with a student, however, I think that a 'signal' for the teacher is a little over the top. If a student wants to raise their hand and be called on, then they should know they have a good chance of being called on - if they don't want to be recognized, then the solution is simple: don't raise your hand, and ask the teacher after class. Teachers shouldn't have to work out the Enigma code every time a student raises his or her hand in class. If the student asks the teacher after class, then they can still learn what they're missing.
I don’t think that shyness is necessarily a bad thing. Students can be successful and shy at the same time. I was a shy student and did not like talking out loud in front of classmates or peers. I was still an A student because I would ask the teacher after class. Although I was a shy speaker, it was different when I would have to get up in front of hundreds of people on stage and dance, then I was never shy. So, I think the same is true for other students, what they lack in confidence in some areas they make up for in others.
ReplyDelete