This chapter was a chapter that I could honestly relate to. As one of the students that came from a single parent family and that parent being my mother I understood this one quite well. When it came to the different family groups I was obviously able to associate with the single parent one the most. The other family structures (Gay and Lesbian, Hispanic, Asian, and Native American families) were interesting for me to read about even though they were not something that I could put into a personal context. Whatever type of family students come from as teachers we need to acknowledge that they will have different experiences and worldviews. I feel that this is going to be really important to keep in mind when you are dealing with communication (with the students as well as family members) as well as some cultural things that may come up such as holidays and things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This was one of my favorite topics this semester. As teachers we MUST look at the child "in context" of his or her own ecological environment. As the lecture stated, "to best serve our students, teachers need to be aware of the entire system impacting students."
ReplyDeleteThis means that we as teachers need to do our homework on our students. This doesn't just mean send home a questionaire. This means talking with our students and guardians. Get to know them throughout the year. Do activities that show that you are interested and care about their lives (and system). Journaling is a great way to have a dialogue with students in a low pressure way.
Another point in this topic was the connection between families and schools. In another course it was brought to our attention that this can be a difficult task, especially parents who might have language barriers, and/or are afraid of schools because they are illegally in the country. No matter what, as teachers we should be encouraging parents to take part in their child's education. They can help their children succeed. Even if they can not read or write themselves, they can encourage their student to take pride in their work, establish a high value for school and education, and help organize. This mesosystem is extremely important, and one that as a future teacher I am going to encourage often.
"Whatever type of family students come from as teachers we need to acknowledge that they will have different experiences and worldviews. I feel that this is going to be really important to keep in mind when you are dealing with communication (with the students as well as family members) as well as some cultural things that may come up such as holidays and things."
ReplyDeleteRlmmartin, I could not agree more with this statement. I was interning in a title I school a few semesters ago and the teacher had planned a pajama/pizza party to celebrate the ending of the semester. This school has a high population of Somalian immigrants. A high population of these students are Muslim. She planned the party, which the kids were SOOOO excited about right on a Islamic holiday. Half of the children were absent. They did not get to participate in the party, and as an intern I was so disappointed to not say goodbye to half of my class.
If this teacher would have been more in tune with the needs of her students, she would not have planned the party on an observed religious holiday. It's that kind of carelessness that I want to overcome as an educator.