After reading the pages in chapter 6 and looking at the power point I found this concept it be of great interest to me. When I am teaching my preschooler’s I have seen both of these: Observable behaviors and the Self-Regulatory process which I might add is very different in different children. I believe that this statement off the power point is very true “Developing an enduring emotional bond between caregivers and children supports healthy emotional development.” I have worked with many children in all ranges of temperament, working hard to build the trust and bond with some children takes a lot of time but I have seen it payoff. This is a good statement “Attachment may impact emotional development across the lifespan.” I have seen this in both my X-husband (did-not have good attachment with any of his family) and my own boys (do have good attachments with their families). I like to try and model this kind of for young children and help them use it “In order for students to become self-regulated, they must have the opportunity to observe strategic behavior and to practice those behaviors.” p. 125. I was surprised by how much of an impact we as teacher of young children (birth to 5) have on the development of the child’s self. In the text on page 341 it talks about “From early attachment relationships children begin to construct an “internal model” of self and their social relationships that includes the root of self-esteem and security.” Who that is mind blowing. To think that is just a few hours a day Monday through Friday we can help children form a strong bond early in life. I really liked the “Focus on Teaching Helping Shy Children in the Classroom” on pg. 339 and I will be using several of those ideas and strategies. One of the best things we can do for children is to model and support their ability to exercise control over their emotions, talking about feeling and identifying both positive and negative emotions. Letting children know that we all have these different emotion and that the emotions are o.k. to have but the way in which we deal with them is the real issue.
(Meece, Daniels)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that you have many interesting and valid points. I really like how you talked about the need to let children know that everyone has emotions and that all the different emotions are okay to have, but that we need to deal with them in a correct way, and what an issue this is in classrooms.
ReplyDeleteI agree I feel that as teachers we need to let the children know when we are upset, happy, sad, etc, and that as teachers we do not do that enough. I think that many teachers feel the need to put on a happy face and hide their feelings, which is not helpful when it comes to teaching kids respect, and how to deal with their own emotions. I think that as teachers we need to let the kids know when they hurt our feelings, or when we are upset, happy, or sad with or for them.