Thursday, June 18, 2009

Blog 12, Week 3

Keith you are correct in stating strained relations at home can lead to adverse consequences at school. The stress that children go through during this time becomes multiplied when issue arise or are on going at home. From what I've taken away from the book, children act out when they see no other way to express their feelings. The sad fact for some students is that their teachers may be the only positive influence in their lives. This puts educators in this situation in a tough position. Not only are they responsible for their educational development, they also become a psychologist to the child. Educators in this position can only do so much to help the student; however, whatever positive influence the educator attempts can help. Page 355 list a number of successful interventions which need to be used with these student. The list revolves around one simple notion, be supportive and responsive. Educators do not have all the answers; however, well meant positive guidance can help a student through troubled times. Something as simple as just listening to a students problems may help that student through the day.

1 comment:

  1. I found the article on page 339 of the textbook to be very informative on the issue of shyness. The strategies that Brophy and Malouff found useful when dealing with shy students were ones that I wish I had at my last internship. I was at a middle school where I observed sixth and seventh graders, and the amount of shy kids in the classes was extremely high. It's guaranteed that we will all face this issue in our classrooms at one point in time, however, some of us may have more shy kids than others. The foundations that Brophy and Malouff have laid for us on shyness should be brought into play when we have to deal with students that seem uncomfortable with their surroundings. As Brophy suggests, cooperative learning groups is a great place for these students as it will break them out of their shell and hopefully make them interact more with their peers.
    I agree with Malouff when he says to never label a student as shy! This is the last thing a shy student wants to hear. No good can come out of this statement. I can remember hearing this many times when I was growing up, and I can also remember how much it did not help me. If I would have had more encouragement instead of constant nagging, I think my shyness would have went away earlier than it did.

    ReplyDelete