Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Chapter 2 Lecture

I found the lecture on Chapter 2 very informative. While I knew much of the information when it came to prenatal development I found the information on the adolescent years to me most interesting and useful. Since I am looking to teach in the high schools when I get done with my degree I feel that this might be the most applicable to me personally. I was especially interested in the part of the lecture that explained the differences of males and females during the maturation process. It is actually fascinating that females that tend to develop later tend to do better in school and have less emotional problems. I know from personal experience the problems that come along with developing early but I would have thought that it would have been about equal with later developing females. It would seem that the fact that they are developing slower than their peers may actually cause an equal amount of emotional problems. The fact that this information opened my eyes to new information that I didn’t know before could be useful once I am teaching because it allows me to look at the issues of each demographic with open and informed eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Blog post 3. week 1.
    Of the two, Vygotsky is definitely the approach we would use in our schools and classrooms. The teacher is there to help the child learn. If the child was simply able to learn everything on their own, we would have no use for teachers. Yes, they are able to pick up some things on their own as they explore the world, but they cannot simply learn everything on their own. That is where we come in.
    In other classes, I have heard of the zone of proximal development, but it is always explained in different ways. I think I like this description the best. They ususlly make the description or more negative experience where we see here that they are able to reach a certain level and might need that extra push. More knowledge on this will help me and my fellow peers in our classroom, especially with the special education aspect. Knowing what the child does and does not know, and knowing how much they can possibly learn in a certain amount of time can help us save time, money, and frustration for both the child and the teacher.

    ReplyDelete