Friday, June 12, 2009

Blog 8 Cathy Morgan

Hi, Morgan
I agree with you when you stated” As future teachers, it is important that we understand what motivates each child. I also disagree with you when you sate” motivation is also a huge key role when dealing with special needs students. many of them have no ulterior motives to learn so they cannot understand why they need to "learn." Thus teaching tools for students like such are reinforcements. The student is motivated to do the work because they will receive candy or stickers or cookies, whatever is motivating to them. Without these reinforcements, the likeliness that they would do what we ask of them is slim to none”
I have worked with many special need children over the last 5 or so years and I have never have to give them anything that I was not already giving the other students. Children with special needs are more willing to learn something new than some of the other students. Children with special needs may take longer to learn the concept that you are trying to teach, but they are so eager to please that they will general try very hard without cookies or candy.

2 comments:

  1. Cathy, I agree with you almost 100%. When I worked with most children with special needs, the pure joy of knowing something new was a motivating factor. To some extent, knowing more than their peers (other children with special needs) was also a motivation. However, there are some students that are so mentally disabled that nothing but a distraction will motivate them. For these students, I've used the promise of playing another game (also educational, but not the task at hand), and that seems to work. I hate to use cookies because I don't want to feel like I'm rewarding an animal. They're human beings, and can be motivated like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan,
    I agree with your respondse as well as the classmate you commented on. Learing what motivates children is a key tool that we as teachers must build, learn and capitalize on. I believe without this tool we as teachers cannot do our job. I also believe that as teachers we are a different group of people that should all be consisted of thoughtful, creative and most important motivating type people. I also agree that motivation plays a key when teaching Special Education. These students need a positive direction which should be supported by motivation.

    Keith Ketelhut

    ReplyDelete