The concept of Intelligence can be quite intriguing, it consists of a multiple variety of definitions, and through different types of assessments. When I think of intelligence, I relate that term to an IQ score or to Gardner and his 8 types of intelligences. On page 210 of our textbook in Table 4.1, illustrates Gardner's Eight Intelligences and its components; I found this very helpful in breaking down each intelligence and found the occupations a good example of people in their field of profession.
In the textbook and lecture, they discuss the difference between intelligence and achievement tests. On page 207 of our textbook, it sums up the two as both being a way to measure (a) "a child's ability to learn or to apply information in new ways" (intelligence) and (b) "designed to measure what children have gained from instruction at home or at school" (achievement). An example of an intelligence test was the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children WISC-IV which I have had previous experience with last semester in my Assessment Methods course, along with the term standard deviation.
The debate whether intelligence can be considered to be inherited through parents and other environmental factors is intriguing for myself. I also found the topics of giftedness and mental retardation as a review from SPE 303, which I took as a part of my teacher preparation program.
There is much to learn about the information process and intelligence theories that continues to grow as researchers find new information about cognitive development.
I agree with Katie. That when i think of intelligence i think of IQ but i also think of street smart. Students may go ahead in life with either one. An example is those who study medicine and become doctors are book smart. Whereas somebody like my dad who only went to school till 10th grade is a very successful business man today.
From the lecture it is important for us as teachers to understand that all students are smart. The smart kids just have better strategies of learning and have the capability to improve on it. Whereas those kids who dont know how they learn best are the ones that are unsure of the content. Prior knowledge is also a huge one. All kids come in with knowledge, we as teachers can not make assumptions that they come in with the same knowledge. Those who have prior knowledge on concepts are most likely to do better than others.
Intelligence being inherited through parents. Hmmm... I have been part of a discussion in another one of my classes and if im not mistaken it is a true statement. Intelligence is being passed onto kids which is pretty weird. I hope somebody else can elaborate on this a little.
Andrew Pollak Blog Post #6 In response to Katie. I would like to talk about the debate on whether intelligence is inherited or other environmental aspects. I would have to believe intelligence is inherited from parents. Our parents make up every thing in us. They are going to pass on many traits, even their intelligence. After we are born then, it is up to the parents to help their child intellectualy grow. Surrounding them with books and toys at a young age helps us expand out knowledge, and gives us the suriosity to learn even more.
I do not agree that intelligence is ALWAYS passed on through parents. In some cases yes, but I just do not think that it always happens because every person posses' different kinds of intelligence. Like Sapna said, there are people that posses book smarts and people that are street smart. Every child is different and has the potential to either be smarter than their parents are or were at a certain age.
"Teachers need to make a greater effort to teach specific cognitive strategies, to provide information concerning their usefulness in learning, and to suggest when strategies may be useful for other learning situations." I really like this quote from our textbook because every student deserves a teacher that will help to shape their intelligence. I think the development of children's intelligence lies solely in the educators hands. I do agree however that the home environment can also influence early intellectual development. So the combination of a healthy learning and home environment is the bast thing for the youth of this country and it is our job as educators to make sure the students at least have one of the two (the learning environment).
I agree with the textbook on page 249 that schools need to provide an EQUAL learning opportunity for all students.
The development of intelligence is a very interesting subject for me. When I was eight I had a massive brain surgery that affected my entire life. I was out of school for almost a month and when I returned I found that my learning abilities were not as good as before the surgery. As I went on in life it got easier for me in the classroom, however it was still a challenge, however when I got to college everything changed. My grade have vastly improved and I currently have a 3.6 GPA. This is just an example that no matter what happens in life you can always succeed in school as long as you put forth an effort. The development of intelligence will be different for everyone and we need to recognize this in our students. It is our job to encourage our students and constantly remind them that they CAN do whatever they set their minds to.
BLOG POST 5: In chapter 4 the book talked about memory. There are three different types of memory sensory, short-term, and long-term memory. What I found very interesting about memory is the encoding strategies. There are three of them: rehearsal, organizing, and elaboration. Rehearsal is when you repeat something over and over. Children under 7 use this less often then older children. Organization is when you put information into groups that make sense to you. Children under 7 uses it less often or effectively then older children. Elaboration is when you add information to help remember it. For example relating it to existing knowledge or putting in owns words. This strategy is most used by adolescents. I found how the more complex the encoding strategy was the older or more frequently it was used. I can think of different times through my college career when I have used all three of these encoding strategy. Another topic talked about in chapter 4 was Intelligence. I never learned about the different types in any other class. All I have heard about it was street smarts and book smarts. Spearman said that there are crystallized intelligence and fluid intelligence. Crystallized intelligence starts to decrease in early adult hood and fluid intelligence improves well into adult hood. Under that is components of intelligent behavior. is who That includes componential, experiential, contextual, and practical. They are very different but all are very important. I extremely enjoyed reading about the different intelligence. Garder’s theory is different and thinks there are eight different intelligences. He thought that each one had its own perception, memory, and learning. Both of their theory’s were very fascinating to learn about.
Nick, I like the fact that you gave a personal example of just how the development of intelligence has impacted your life. On that note I can co relate to my interests and wonder how I have developed such strong neurological connection that my brain has developed over time. As I continue to study how students can make connections and how important it is for family support, I begin to wonder how I am able to maintain a 3.8 GPA in college. As studied in prior classes, they say that if ones parents are not educated nor have strong intelligence; the student usually struggles in school. Although school may not come easy to me I feel that as I study more and more about how are brain makes connections and how useful new experiences play. This amount of experience and knowledge will help all of us become better teachers when understanding are students when it comes to developing intelligence.
Intelligence is a difficult issue to debate upon. In response to Nick's posting, I agree that intelligence is a very interesting subject. It sounds like your experience has given you a better perspective on this topic, and leaves you with a little more knowledge than the rest of us which is valuable and gives you insight for your students and others that have questions. I definitely agree with the point that you said that "no matter what happens in life you can always succeed in school as long as you put forth an effort." It is important, as a future educator and as a parent, that you express that to your students or children because they can do anything that they put their mind to in order to succeed. And as a future educator, you have to be flexible because the development of people aren't always the same, and we are learning and understanding that through the instruction of this particular course.
I agree with Andrew that intelligene is somehow inherited and has an environmental asspect. How our parents raise up, with wht kind of surroudings, whether we will exposed to other cultures and places, etc. All these different things effect our learning and knowledge. The more experience you have he more you can relate and therefore understand it better.
The concept of Intelligence can be quite intriguing, it consists of a multiple variety of definitions, and through different types of assessments. When I think of intelligence, I relate that term to an IQ score or to Gardner and his 8 types of intelligences. On page 210 of our textbook in Table 4.1, illustrates Gardner's Eight Intelligences and its components; I found this very helpful in breaking down each intelligence and found the occupations a good example of people in their field of profession.
ReplyDeleteIn the textbook and lecture, they discuss the difference between intelligence and achievement tests. On page 207 of our textbook, it sums up the two as both being a way to measure (a) "a child's ability to learn or to apply information in new ways" (intelligence) and (b) "designed to measure what children have gained from instruction at home or at school" (achievement). An example of an intelligence test was the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children WISC-IV which I have had previous experience with last semester in my Assessment Methods course, along with the term standard deviation.
The debate whether intelligence can be considered to be inherited through parents and other environmental factors is intriguing for myself. I also found the topics of giftedness and mental retardation as a review from SPE 303, which I took as a part of my teacher preparation program.
There is much to learn about the information process and intelligence theories that continues to grow as researchers find new information about cognitive development.
I agree with Katie. That when i think of intelligence i think of IQ but i also think of street smart. Students may go ahead in life with either one. An example is those who study medicine and become doctors are book smart. Whereas somebody like my dad who only went to school till 10th grade is a very successful business man today.
ReplyDeleteFrom the lecture it is important for us as teachers to understand that all students are smart. The smart kids just have better strategies of learning and have the capability to improve on it. Whereas those kids who dont know how they learn best are the ones that are unsure of the content. Prior knowledge is also a huge one. All kids come in with knowledge, we as teachers can not make assumptions that they come in with the same knowledge. Those who have prior knowledge on concepts are most likely to do better than others.
Intelligence being inherited through parents. Hmmm... I have been part of a discussion in another one of my classes and if im not mistaken it is a true statement. Intelligence is being passed onto kids which is pretty weird. I hope somebody else can elaborate on this a little.
Andrew Pollak Blog Post #6
ReplyDeleteIn response to Katie. I would like to talk about the debate on whether intelligence is inherited or other environmental aspects. I would have to believe intelligence is inherited from parents. Our parents make up every thing in us. They are going to pass on many traits, even their intelligence. After we are born then, it is up to the parents to help their child intellectualy grow. Surrounding them with books and toys at a young age helps us expand out knowledge, and gives us the suriosity to learn even more.
I do not agree that intelligence is ALWAYS passed on through parents. In some cases yes, but I just do not think that it always happens because every person posses' different kinds of intelligence. Like Sapna said, there are people that posses book smarts and people that are street smart. Every child is different and has the potential to either be smarter than their parents are or were at a certain age.
ReplyDelete"Teachers need to make a greater effort to teach specific cognitive strategies, to provide information concerning their usefulness in learning, and to suggest when strategies may be useful for other learning situations."
I really like this quote from our textbook because every student deserves a teacher that will help to shape their intelligence. I think the development of children's intelligence lies solely in the educators hands. I do agree however that the home environment can also influence early intellectual development. So the combination of a healthy learning and home environment is the bast thing for the youth of this country and it is our job as educators to make sure the students at least have one of the two (the learning environment).
I agree with the textbook on page 249 that schools need to provide an EQUAL learning opportunity for all students.
The development of intelligence is a very interesting subject for me. When I was eight I had a massive brain surgery that affected my entire life. I was out of school for almost a month and when I returned I found that my learning abilities were not as good as before the surgery. As I went on in life it got easier for me in the classroom, however it was still a challenge, however when I got to college everything changed. My grade have vastly improved and I currently have a 3.6 GPA. This is just an example that no matter what happens in life you can always succeed in school as long as you put forth an effort. The development of intelligence will be different for everyone and we need to recognize this in our students. It is our job to encourage our students and constantly remind them that they CAN do whatever they set their minds to.
ReplyDeleteBLOG POST 5:
ReplyDeleteIn chapter 4 the book talked about memory. There are three different types of memory sensory, short-term, and long-term memory. What I found very interesting about memory is the encoding strategies. There are three of them: rehearsal, organizing, and elaboration. Rehearsal is when you repeat something over and over. Children under 7 use this less often then older children. Organization is when you put information into groups that make sense to you. Children under 7 uses it less often or effectively then older children. Elaboration is when you add information to help remember it. For example relating it to existing knowledge or putting in owns words. This strategy is most used by adolescents. I found how the more complex the encoding strategy was the older or more frequently it was used. I can think of different times through my college career when I have used all three of these encoding strategy.
Another topic talked about in chapter 4 was Intelligence. I never learned about the different types in any other class. All I have heard about it was street smarts and book smarts. Spearman said that there are crystallized intelligence and fluid intelligence. Crystallized intelligence starts to decrease in early adult hood and fluid intelligence improves well into adult hood. Under that is components of intelligent behavior. is who That includes componential, experiential, contextual, and practical. They are very different but all are very important. I extremely enjoyed reading about the different intelligence. Garder’s theory is different and thinks there are eight different intelligences. He thought that each one had its own perception, memory, and learning. Both of their theory’s were very fascinating to learn about.
Nick,
ReplyDeleteI like the fact that you gave a personal example of just how the development of intelligence has impacted your life. On that note I can co relate to my interests and wonder how I have developed such strong neurological connection that my brain has developed over time. As I continue to study how students can make connections and how important it is for family support, I begin to wonder how I am able to maintain a 3.8 GPA in college. As studied in prior classes, they say that if ones parents are not educated nor have strong intelligence; the student usually struggles in school. Although school may not come easy to me I feel that as I study more and more about how are brain makes connections and how useful new experiences play. This amount of experience and knowledge will help all of us become better teachers when understanding are students when it comes to developing intelligence.
Intelligence is a difficult issue to debate upon. In response to Nick's posting, I agree that intelligence is a very interesting subject. It sounds like your experience has given you a better perspective on this topic, and leaves you with a little more knowledge than the rest of us which is valuable and gives you insight for your students and others that have questions. I definitely agree with the point that you said that "no matter what happens in life you can always succeed in school as long as you put forth an effort." It is important, as a future educator and as a parent, that you express that to your students or children because they can do anything that they put their mind to in order to succeed. And as a future educator, you have to be flexible because the development of people aren't always the same, and we are learning and understanding that through the instruction of this particular course.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Andrew that intelligene is somehow inherited and has an environmental asspect. How our parents raise up, with wht kind of surroudings, whether we will exposed to other cultures and places, etc. All these different things effect our learning and knowledge. The more experience you have he more you can relate and therefore understand it better.
ReplyDelete