Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Blog Posts #15 and #16

 This chapter contained a lot of information based on relationships with others and moral development. This chapter focused on compassion for others, which begins in early infancy. Compassion consists of thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of others. Along with learning compassion for others, it explains that children express-communicate differently through touching their wants/needs, use of words, and sign language. On page 404, provides a good visual representation to understand the Stages of Social Perspective Taking development. The chapter goes on to continue discussing building relationships with peers, which is important because it provides children with social interaction and practicing their skills. An important thing to remember is to eliminate prejudice, this is not usually evident in the early grades, but it is important to explore diversity in the classroom through children's books and literature and in-class assignments (i.e. history class with Black History Month, etc.). Another activity that teachers could incorporate is having students share their background with the class, as an icebreaker activity for the first week of school. 

Peer relations are important; they help one another learn through "modeling academic skills, assisting in problem solving, serving as a resource, and providing encouragement and support" (Meece, p. 412). Students tend to learn best from their peers because they are able to put it into simpler terms for one to understand. As a student, I would agree with this because I feel that I gain a better understanding when I am able to talk with someone to exchange information or learn from their responses; it is nice to get a different view of a situation. As a future educator, it is important to remember to promote positive relations. Fortunately for myself, I would like to teach in the elementary school level, so cliques and the different types of crowds aren't an issue viruses middle-high school ages students. However, I thought figure and table 7.1 on pages 416-417 in our textbook was helpful and yet so true. On page 418, Meece states "Many young people report that the best part of school is spending time with their friends." I would definitely agree with this statement, I found lunch was one of the best periods of the day because I got to sit and talk with my friends and I remember thinking that college was great because you were able to choose your own schedule and you could pick with your friends :)

Many concepts in the middle of this chapter deal with middle-high school aged students. It is important to eliminate bullying to avoid behavior-aggressive behavior. Bullying happens even in elementary school, so as a teacher, one needs to ensure that bullying is eliminated and monitoring in case it does come across. If a teacher faces a student who has aggression issues, the teacher needs to promote other school efforts to reduce behavior and promote social relations with peers.

I found the last part of the chapter, moral development, very intriguing. Children and adults are faced with moral issues almost everyday. An excellent example that the book provided was the Heinz's dilemma. Children face issues of whether or not too cheat on assessments, copy a peer's homework, etc. Teachers need to ensure that they are monitoring their students and performance during assessments by walking around the room, which can eliminate the potential to cheat. Kohlberg's Stages of Moral Reasoning were interesting; the 6 stages and 3 levels. One concept that was discussed in this section was Ethic of Care = IMPORTANT!!! Teachers need to have ethic of care for her students so that it creates a positive learning environment and builds a relationship with students. Lastly is character education, "an approach to moral development that involves teaching young people core values and virtues (Meece, p. 439), which is something that I'd like to introduce to my students. It promotes building on their character and makes them really think about a situation.

6 comments:

  1. POST BLOG 15:

    In chapter 7 there was a couple of sections on peer popularity and rejection. I found this very interesting because this is a big problem in school systems right now. Schools are having more suicides and schools shootings then ever. Peer popularity also interferes with school engagement, motivation and achievement. 6 to 11 percent of elementary students have no friends. Neglected peers are usually invisible in the classroom, shy and socially withdrawn. These students don’t have the skills to interact and make friends. Aggression is the main reason for peer rejection. There are two groups of rejected children, aggressive and the second group is socially withdrawn and submissive.

    Students who are popular usually have a positive relationship with peers and with adults. The also seem to do better in academics, school adjustment, being on time, and graduating high school. It is important for a teacher to help her student to feel equally popular in their classroom.

    The chapter gives some good information to help your student in your classroom with social interaction. For preschool and primary children it is very good to give them time to play, this is a good time for the student to learn social skills. It helps them to learn how to understand others, follow and lead, express emotions, build relationships, and how to resolve conflicts with others. For secondary and primary student it is best to have them interact academically. You can have your student do peer tutoring, and group work. Having peer interaction in the classroom helps with sharing, cooperation, helping others in need, increased student motivation and achievement. For the students whom this does not seem to help there are social skills training programs you can introduce to them.

    Teachers need to have some type of plan to help student socially. The teacher needs to know how they will promote positive peer interaction on a daily bases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. POST BLOG 16:

    In response to Katie. I agree with you when you said you have to bring different cultural into the classroom to show your students to help get rid of prejudice. One thing I remember doing in my classroom is everyone would bring in a food from their background and talk about their cultural. I think it is very important for teachers to talk about difference. Especially if the class is mostly one culture so when they get into a situation where they are more mixed they will still feel comfortable.

    I also talked about peer interaction but in a different way .I also learn better when a peer explains it but that is also because you are hearing the explanation twice and each time in a different way. I really like the power teaching. This involves a lot of peer interaction and explanation of information. After the teacher teaches something for 5 minutes the peers then turn and explain it again to each other, the teacher then teaches for another 5 minutes and so on.

    You talked about moral development and monitoring your students. I think teachers should definitely do this. You should also explain to them in ways that they can understand why copying or cheating is not acceptable. The teacher should give example comparing it to things they understand such as toys, playing, and other things like that.

    I agree with you when you talked about building character and making them think about situations. One thing I am big on is thinking about a situation if it was the other way around. AS a teacher it is important to help students see situations in different ways so they understand them just like when teaching them the academics.

    I really enjoyed reading your response to the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Kelly. I completely agree with you about the section on peer popularity and rejection. It is definitely a major problem in the school systems today, which is sad because it tends to create self-esteem problems for children and can also lead to aggressive behavior. Suicides and school shootings are two tragic events that are becoming more common within school systems nowadays, and that isn't a good thing. As teachers, we need to promote the joy of coming to school and creating a safe learning environment. It is shocking to see statistics of the 6 to 11 percent of elementary students have no friends because like I mentioned, friends are important aspect in children's education. They provide support for their peers and help develop their social interaction skills. It is important to incorporate engaging activities-assignments for your students to participate in during class because it allows students to get to know one another and creates an inviting environment that is comfortable for everyone.

    I think it important for teachers and students to not get caught up on titles, such as being popular, jocks, geeks, because there is more to what you are being classified in school. These types of struggles create problems for students and those students tend to become less successful in school. I agree with you Kelly, that teachers need to help their students to feel equally popular in their classroom :)

    This chapter was a great resource for teacher and it provided a lot of helpful information. Children's favorite part of the day, particularly elementary school-aged children, is when they have time for centers and recess time. Promoting social skills for students is key because like you mentioned, it helps them to learn how to understand others, follow and lead, express emotions, build relationships, and how to resolve conflicts with others - nicely stated :)

    Cooperative learning is great for the classroom because it also provides peers with the chance to learn from one another. Peer tutoring and group work has been shown to increase student's success. They provide a support system for others, which also challenges students to create motivation.

    Teachers always need to have some type of plan,, and a back-up plan in case all else fails. Teachers need to promote social interactions for their students in a positive manner because those skills are skills that they will have to utilize on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blog # 16 - Response

    I am pretty sure that almost every parent, teacher, siblings, friends, individuals believe that bullying should be eliminated from school. Schools should try their absolute best to do as much possible to promote a healthy and safe environment. I have noticed that in every school they have "anti-bullying" posters up but i have never seen anything positive like "Make a friend everyday" or along the lines of do something good to someone everyday. I believe that having both perspectives help students understand and also to have get togethers for classes to talk about these issues and what we can do to eliminate it. I remember in high school every year we had to talk about these issues and how we can get rid of it and it helped students realize what others are going through and what every individual can do to help this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree that students learn better through peer support. I have always done better in school when I had a group to work with. I feel that there is more pressure for the student when they are called upon or when independent work is issued. I think that group work should be assigned more often so students build relationships and have the opportunity to learn more.
    The subject on being gay in school is a big issue in our society. I think we can all agree that these students suffer the most harassment in school. Being a music major in high school, I have seen it all. There were many gay students in choir and theater and most of them got picked on, but I stood up for as many as I could. These students do not deserve this type of treatment and when I am an educator I will make sure to punish the students who make fun of them. I will do everything in my power to get them suspended or expelled depending on the situation.,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sapna, I agree that bullying should be eliminated from school. I was severely bullied when I was in junior high and some of high school and I know how it can have a negative affect on schoolwork. these bullies need to be delt with. I find it outrageous that in our society today bullies still exist. I know it is impossible to monitor everything on campus, but it just should not go on anymore. I'll tell you what, when I am an educator I will make it a point to actually look for the bullies. I feel that most teachers on duty do not look for the trouble that is going on, but I will!!

    ReplyDelete