Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Blog Post #17
I think this is an important topic and an area we teachers need to be stronger in. From what I have learned in my special ed classes I have found that education is going more toward combined education classrooms instead of separate teachers for students with disabilities and students without disabilities. Also an interesting thing I learned in special ed, that conflicts with our powerpoint, is there is a big controversy over how to label these individuals. The people with disabilities want to be called disabled persons because the disability is apart of who they are, on the other hand outsiders prefer to call them a student with a disability and put the student before the disability. It was interesting to see in the powerpoint the idea that people are people first with out the information on the opposing side. Also, its important that teachers are not supposed to label diagnose or treat students they think have disabilities; however, they are responsible for utilizing the referral process when necessary. I think there is a fine line here between personal labels and labels for the referral process. I have seen teachers crossover this line sometimes. In addition, I have also wondered if lately ADHD is being over diagnosed. I am not an expert but I think it is important to note that kids are kids and it is normal for them to be wiggly, in attentive, and hyperactive. It seems we are only too happy to put kids with these symptoms on meds and completely change who they are and how they act. I have seen personally my nephew be diagnosed with this and placed on medication. He has changed. He isn’t his normal happy talkative self. He is more reserved, quiet, and different. It is sad to see and experience on a personal level.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment