Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Blog 17

I really enjoyed this lecture. It reminded me of when I took my special education class in my freshman year. It was so interesting to learn about all of the different exceptionalities and how they effect the classroom. I feel that it is extremely important as a teacher to learn about all of these issues and to be able to recognize the signs if they were to come along in one of your students. If you think about it, we almost spend more time as teachers with those kids than their parents do. I think if some indications were to come along that their child was special, the teacher would probably have a better chance of noticing it than the parents. I think it is our responsibility to keep an eye out. However, when I think about when i become a teacher and how I may notice something different about a particular student, I think it might be a little scary to be the one to address the issue. As a teacher I am not an expert and I have no right to diagnose a child with anything, however if I notice something, it needs to be addressed. I think this is where school and district staff come into play. I think they can really help as far as expert advise could go. After all, we have to go about telling the parents about their child's signs in a delicate way, or there could be many problems. I really like the tip on becoming familiar with the school psychologist right away. I really think that would help both me as the teacher and the family involved.

1 comment:

  1. This lecture and section also reminded me of the special education class that I took, and I agree with you that it is important to be close with the school psychologist and I too worry about having to have those sorts of conversations with the parents about their child maybe having a learning disability or even just having to have a discussion about the child misbehaving. I think it is extremely important that the staff and administration be there to back their teachers up in situations like this and I feel that many times that is not the case.

    ReplyDelete