Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Blog # 17

This is one of those most interesting topics and the one that I feel I need to be as educated as possible. This is because in todays classrooms it is normal to have a student who has special needs and are being incorporated into the classroom. A few years ago I worked as an aide in an emotional disabled classroom and that was my first experience in working with students who had special needs. Those students taught me so much. I realized that they were not different from other students they just needed some resources to help them function in the classroom. One of the most beneficial things for them was being able to go into the regular classroom. They were able to socialize with other students as well as being exposed to how the classroom is run so that they are prepared for being in the regular classroom all day. In the lecture one line stuck out to me, "Teachers need to help students to be experts in their own learning strengths and weaknesses." All teachers need to take this into consideration for all their students.

2 comments:

  1. I too think placing students with disabilities in the general classroom does wonders for them. They learn so much from their peers and likewise thier peers learn from them. Children are very understranding and accepting of all people. It doesn't have to be a big deal that someone different is in their class with them. The class learn about the disability and then go on and treat the student like on of their peers. Also I think it is good for children and adults alike to expirience working with and learning with students with disabilities. What a great eye opender for them! Lastly, this means for us as teachers we have to be informed, prepared, armed and ready to handle whatever comes our way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made som great points in your blog, but I also have to disagree with you in a sense. I too have worked with ED students and I don't think they act all that different from your other studetns. There can be times when they are unmotivated and do not want to do work and they go through tantrums, which is part of their disorder, but otherwise they are just like our other students. They have friends, they go to movies, they are really like you and I. I would not put them in the same catagory of special education as someone who has autism or downs syndrome. These are the students you will have in your classroom most of the time, and you will have to learn to accommodate them. Of course we will have all types of special needs in our class, but these students have average to above average IQ's, thus being in our clases, aside from high school where they may be in a resource room for one period of the day. I think it's beneficial for everyone to learn more about special education, as it is part of my major (and one of the teaching jobs that still continues to hire in the recession)and I feel its more beneficial and rewarding to help special needs children who really require that extra attention as opposed to the regular education students who get paid money for beinging home A's.

    ReplyDelete